The Club for Boys
The Club for Boys is dedicated to providing positive experiences that develop self-esteem and character in a caring, safe and fun environment for all boys. The Club for Boys offers a range of activities specifically for boys that encompass education, recreation, and fulfillment of personal needs. This programming builds on what is known about how boys learn and grow and addresses the distinctive development styles and energy levels of boys.
In the 1950’s, the idea for a Boys Club began with Judge George Hurst in response to community concerns about juvenile delinquency. In November 1963, everything was in place and the Club opened its doors in the Old Train Depot on Eighth St. Since that time the Club has grown and developed.
Today the Club for Boys has a well-qualified staff of 30 that provide recreation and developmentally appropriate programming for approximately 1,300 youth, ages 6-17. The Club is closed on weekends and open during the school year from 1:30 until 8:30 p.m. four days a week and from 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. During the summer and on school days when classes are not in session the Club is open from 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.