Special Olympics South Dakota (SOSD)
Special Olympics helps those with intellectual disabilities become active, contributing members of the communities in which they live. Acceptance and inclusion of those with disabilities is critical. Special Olympics South Dakota has become more that just a track meet. Here are just some of the key initiatives that SOSD is focused on:
- We now have over 2,100 participants
- We now have 26 competitions statewide!!
- We provide FREE health screenings at our events with our Healthy Athlete Programs
- We have a Young Athlete Program for children ages 2-7
- Unified Champion Schools brings youth with and without intellectual differences together thru education, sports, and related initiatives that provide them with knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to create and sustain school communities that promote acceptance, respect and human dignity for all students
- The new SOSD Unify Center has spurred awareness and activity which is boosting growth