Children's Museum of South Dakota
The Children's Museum of South Dakota sparks learning through play, creativity, and discovery. Exhibits, both inside and outside, explore science, engineering, art, literature, culture, geography, and history. We promote learning for children of all ages and abilities.
Museum board members, staff, and volunteers share a common passion for giving all children the best opportunities for success in life. This passion steers the development of the museum’s exhibits, programming, and priorities. These priorities include:
- playing as a way to learn
- facilitating play between children and adults
- enhancing a love of nature
- building stewardship of the environment
- learning about the people, the community, and the cultures of the region and of the world
- being open-minded, creative, and curious
- giving back to the community
- appreciation for diverse perspectives
- inclusion for all
While visiting the museum guests can harvest food and move it from farm to market, play in the splash tables, dig up dinosaur bones and more throughout 44,000 square feet of indoor space and 4 acres of prairie. With 5,000 interactive parts and 500 books, the museum supports a love of lifelong learning in downtown Brookings, South Dakota.